About Me

My photo
KK, Sabah, Malaysia
Simple guy with passion to life and interest My life is here and there

Friday, August 13, 2010

The vision is there, however...

Ok...I think he did not post any blog since I criticized his grammar, sentence structure and etc..
And, that day,(I have no idea how long ago), he came to me and asked me how much the rental in Sg city and asked whether I got any idea where the Morgan Stanley building is.

Firstly, I would like to ask him back that does he have any idea how much or how high the rental in the city centre of the city is. Well, we all know that Singapore has the highest living cost among the South East Asia cities and he has no idea ...that the 1st point...
Secondly, I am not looking down on the local higher learning institution degree holder. Someone like him who wants to come to Singapore to learn something..I am really happy to it and proud of that vision. But, up-to now what I've heard that only TAR College or UTAR degree holders afford to get a decent job in Sg. UM or UKM graduates are the next. So, where did the UMS graduates go to? Their English proficiency are not bad too..But, typically like that person I am going to introduce is the one whose English proficiency is under average.

Thirdly, when I heard someone ask: "Is IELTS difficult?" I sure answer yes of course. To this person, with his truly ambitious thought, with his English level is slightly worse than me, said that he can get band 7 out of 9..But, I only get 6.5! He is way too ambitious! With his lack proficient in English, I think he can't even speak well and write well in Singapore where all business are done in English, including speaking and reading and writing as well..Of course, Singapore, if you are able to speak some singlish then is totally perfect to them...

Well, next point I want to argue is...Morgan Stanley..a great investment banking firm in America, set up the branch( I suppose) in Singapore because they think that Singaporeans are good and also proficient in English(Singlish might be because Morgan Stanley's staffs in Singapore are mostly Singaporeans)...This, my friend, who really eager to go into a firm like that and learn in the company. After that, he will establish his own company in hometown.What a vision!
Ok, good....according to another friend of mine( undisclosed name), he told me that every single investment company whose the superiors are about 40 or 50s...and why? because they started their companies long time ago or roughly a few years ago due to their success in the long term investment...and setting up a company is a not-easy business...You need a lot of money...and my dear friend, who is so ambitious, wants to make big money and brings the money back home and establishes his own one...wao....a great great deal or not deal business!
At that time going back and setting up company will be only 30+...a very young CEO I would say...
Good...ambitious and ideally thought...(I think that my own hometown does not have that big type of investment projects, maybe in the future, it will change, who knows?)

Now, why not he just upgrade himself 1st by starting with his own English proficiency? and also why not he just think thoroughly of what I've told him and my friend advised .. a truly ambitious vision but lack of true ability..IF Singapore business is conducted in Malay, then, of course, welcome! BUT, Singapore is Singapore...English is dominating here...Keep it up with your postgrad study in UMS..I know you can, but if really want to learn, why not step by step?---->an advice from an engineer( not pro at all, but at least take it as an advice from a friend )

2 comments:

Isaac said...

The previous blog of his is dead. He has a new blog now but i do not remember what's the blog address. The last post from him was about him watching Sex & The City with me.

Besides all the problems you mentioned, another thing is that i seriously do not think anyone in Singapore is even aware of the existence of UMS. JP Morgan Chase and Morgan Stanley are not just some investment firms. They are among the largest, most reputable and most successful banks hiring only the best. Not trying to suggest that UMS is a lousy university but i think we have to be realistic here.

Steven Gerrard said...

erm...ya...that's why my post is really not meant to hurt someone with UMS or any lower than that...