About Me

My photo
KK, Sabah, Malaysia
Simple guy with passion to life and interest My life is here and there

Monday, August 9, 2010

Contra and contrast in KL...

Kuala Lumpur or known as KL amongst local residents is a hub of everything in Malaysia.
As a capital city and business centre in the country, the metropolitan has gradually changed from its old fashioned look like what we knew in 19th century till now...

I had a short trip to KL recently and I found that the articles in the newspapers contradicted with what I saw.
People's purchasing power is extremely high and this astonished me that why on earth the articles in the newspaper or on the blog speculated the bankruptcy of the country. Well, I really thought of just within KL itself and never think of other place in Malaysia as in KL itself, it is way too facilitated compared to other places.

As a capital, KL serves as a trade in and trade out centre and gather all people from all walks of life in the country. According to my friend, Juin yi who recently likes to use economics terms instead of his own medical jargon said that during his posting in Tanjung Karang, people there live in poverty and illiteracy is quite high. So, we can't judge the situation just based on the situation in KL. Of course there's some place in KL are living in such condition but less illiterate.

KL is facilitated with their own public transport LRT lines and KTM( the worse public transport in KL but intercity is better) . LRT line, basically divided to Ampang Line, Sri Petaling Line and Kelana Jaya Line. LRT is considered a better version of KTM. Why? KTM is notorious for slow, massive usage and smelly compartment. Now, they have new compartment which is only for women and also new model from Korea(I suppose). The government gathers all the modal and capital in the metropolitan and optimizes the usage but the efficiency is low.

Like this morning, when I was having my breakfast with my friend's sis, I saw a gang of cops-liked people hanging around in the coffee shop. Then, I suggested that they were DBKL's authorities. Yeap..that's right. They are DBKL  authorities. But, time like 10 am, I thought they are on duty just like what we have in DBKK.. My friend told me that she was shocked when she was in Sabah last time when she studied..seeing DBKK's authorities worked so hard but DBKL's....-.="" Actually, KL residents pay tax for nothing in the end , seeing the money they pay to the authority wasted like this.. It's inefficient at all!

In terms of facilities, ok...I now really realize what is meant by first class facilities low class consumers..For instance, I really shocked with the condition in the Kolej Za'Ba. Building which is badly managed and the wall is "flourished" with amateur students' artwork. I wondered why and how the university side managed all these things. Afterall, to provide a decent environment for the students to study is the most important priority. The government should look into this case seriously and if the government really wants to improve the quality of the education, therefore then the facilities in the universities should be upgraded ( no matter what it takes! where all the money goes I don't care...Corruption and racism is still the biggest challenge in the country). and furthermore, UM is top 3 in South East Asia region(We should be proud of it^^, however, with the current situation of badly managed facilities, I quite disagree )...Tertiary students, shouldn't you aware of this??

Apart from travelling around the city, I was really happy with the warm hearted people in KL. Especially my friends who have been always so kind and nice. Taking me to 1 Utama ( where I never drop by before), watched movie( though it is considered the horror of the blockbuster) and ate chinese cuisine in the shopping centre, made my day full of enjoyment. Thanks guys..I know that you guys won't read my blogs..haha..
Also thanks to my friends who offered his bed to me and a shelter to me to stay. Aunty, you are a good mom and I am really thankful to you, appreciate it so much! Thanks for everything. KL....

5 comments:

Isaac said...

Please elaborate further as to why and how did you come up with the conclusion that the PPP is actually high in Malaysia. I mean what have you seen changed that thought of yours. Because you saw many people inside the shopping malls ? Or because all the restaurants were jam-packed with people ?

High PPP in Malaysia can only apply to certain groups of individual. It is no secret that many of those living in KL belong to the upper middle class category with high disposable income. Hence they can afford to dine in restaurant or in those freaking expensive food courts with seriously inflated food prices. However, the general population in Malaysia are not as wealthy as you may think, despite what KL as a whole might suggests. And Malaysian certainly do not have that much excess income like the Singaporeans and Hong Kongers. The low value RM doesn't help either.

You may see the same scenario in Jakarta. We all know that Indonesia is actually quite a poor country. Yes, they are doing very good now. In fact, it is the only country in Southeast Asia to avoided the recession in 2008/2009. However, Indonesians still do not make quite as much as its Asian peers such as the Malaysians and Singaporeans. They are heading there but it is still a long way to go.

Anyway, if you go to Indonesia. You'll see so many high-end shopping malls and 5-star hotels and not all of them are new. Many of them have been around way before the 1998 Anti-Chinese riot in Indonesia. Indonesian was never synonymous as being wealthy (except the Chinese of course). But if you go to the upscale malls such as Mall Taman Anggrek, it might also gives you the false impression that Indonesians are all very rich which also may lead you to think Indonesia has a very high PPP.

Isaac said...

By the way, the reports about Malaysia heading towards bankruptcy are not just pure speculation. The article was first published by UBS AG back in 2008. UBS AG is the very well-known Swiss bank. It is the largest bank in Switzerland and the third largest private bank in the world catering to the needs of the ultra-high-net-worth individuals. It is also one of the largest investment banks in the world. Whatever is published by them is not without basis or numbers to support their claims. The very worrisome FDI figures recorded are indeed legit.

Isaac said...

Oh ... one more thing. I think you've been giving way too much credit to those DBKK officers. Go to Gaya Street, Kampung Air or Segama around 9am - 11am. You'll see many of them in full uniform enjoying their brunch in the Kopitiam there too.

Steven Gerrard said...

and only if we see KL as a nation...I think most of the people will vote for another party if they still live under the same (harsh) situation like last time...

Steven Gerrard said...

about the previous comment, ohya, that's what my friend's sis observed when she studied in UMS last few years...remember, last few years...
I know that inflated price happens everywhere including KK and everyone is crying for that..Just maybe I took an example from PC fair in KLCC...maybe that one cannot conclude everything..but, if see KL as a nation just like what u see in sg..right?
Anyway, I just judge in a very physical way..Din really organize the whole blog well...haha