About Me

My photo
KK, Sabah, Malaysia
Simple guy with passion to life and interest My life is here and there

Friday, October 29, 2010

The lesson of good and stable economy

I attended a public lecture by a professor from Harvard University, addressing the title called " Asia and the global economy". This prof, to my impress, he is really a nice one but I was so unfortunate for not giving him any questions during the session.
So, here we go like this in the session.
Firstly, he showed the charts and the figures (about the past few years GDP of top 10 economy pre and post The Great Recession). China caught up very fast and also India, Brazil..

I was really surprised that Brazil is in the list and for the next few years, perhaps 10 more years to come, Brazil will continue stay in the top 10 list. I wondered why Brazil can have such a powerful economy.
Maybe USA is his neighbour? Maybe after the Great Recession, they became the biggest natural resources supplier in the region and made them became one of the top 10?
Here I want to stress out that Brazil is one of the most populous country in the world, not only vast jungle but also has the greatest metropolitan in the world, namely Brasilia and Rio De Janerio.
I have no idea with the PPP, but for the one thing I can be sure is, Brazil has a lot of natural resource, just like us(Malaysia). Brazil(anyone can provide me the data for this country?) , I believe, besides produces the best footballers in the world, they are also the great dealer( As we can see, they are the top 10 for the past few years).

Why is Singapore not included in this ranking? Isn't it one of the biggest in Asia? Where is Malaysia?
People( foreign investors) afraid of those potential factors that could affect their profits. Just like what we have in Malaysia, the unstable politics, racial issues, social issues are rampant. Risk adverse investors like me, 100% will not take any action on these countries. Right?
That's why Singapore has the winning situation - stable politics, friendly-business law, all-the-way-procedured steps, the demography of the country and also the better facilities compare to the neighbouring countries.

Good and stable economy, Malaysia should achieve this with no negative issues around. But, we have a good example to learn from, why Malaysia is still sleeping?! Don't tell me you are the sleeping GIANT!!!!

1 comment:

Isaac said...

Aiyo, so out lah you. Haven't you heard of BRIC ? BRIC stands for Brazil, Russia, India and China. Everyone has been talking about BRIC at least since the financial turmoil back in 2008. Whenever you go to the bank, the bankers will always try to sell you structured products that are linked to BRIC. Last time a banker was trying to sell me a structured product that is invested in energy and petroleum in Brazil. She told me the minimum investment is RM50k and your principal is only guaranteed provided you do not touch the money until it matures 4 years later. RM50k woh ... 4 years lagi ...