About Me

My photo
KK, Sabah, Malaysia
Simple guy with passion to life and interest My life is here and there

Friday, March 4, 2011

comment pls??

Recently, I struggled when I was thinking of my future..
Thinking of which decision would be better off...
Further my studies in PhD or work as an engineer( consultant is my choice actually rather than a contractor)?

Have no idea...with PhD may offer a better situation, maybe?
Here is the comparison:

PhD : continue study if I got second class upper division, I will have scholarship to further my study as a full time student and also as a tuition grant bonded project officer to serve for 3 years and study for 4 years. The stipend is quite satisfying and less than what we will have out there (work)

Work: In order to get into a better company, 1st class student has the priority and I am only second upper.
The salary is tempting from a good company and also with a good employee welfare...with more and more construction projects booming in Singapore, there's no excuse for a civil engineering student not to find a job..

So?? The main question is ..which should I choose? PhD? Work?

Comment pls....

2 comments:

Isaac said...

You should work first and see how it goes. Earn some savings. If you are still not happy with what you have then and want to further your studies, then yeah, go on. And it would be advisable that you take your PhD in a university outside of Singapore, preferably in those Western nations. Do not make the same mistake as one of our friends did (erm ... or is doing) ... My SG$0.02.

shin said...

Actually very easy to compare... Answer question A and B..

A:

Give it 4-5years after you grad from Bachelor's Degree, comparing 3ppl:

1) Bachelor's degree. Work right after graduated from University for 4years.

2) PhD. Study PhD for 4years and new into industry.

3) Master degree. Work for 2years after Degree, back to Master for 1year, then again back to industry for 1year.

So when problem arise, who is able to make better judgement??


B:

Tell me, 4years of PhD without working experiences, what kind of consultancy would you be able to provide???????